Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Characters' Goals

Today, I took a close look at each of the characters that I previously listed and decided what each wanted out of life--not vague general desires but specific ones.
I looked at their immediate goals and intents as well as their long range plans. This is always an interesting task as it makes me get to know my protagonists and antagonists more thoroughly. It makes my studied what motivates them, what makes them do what they do and why.
It's the beginning of their development.
Tomorrow I will look at the obstacles they face to achieve these goals, these wants, these intentions, and that will lead to the plot.
Slowly the story line is developing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home