Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A fight

Today I got back at writing a scene for the final chapter, chapter 14. Although I knew the circumstance in which Daniel found himself, I wasn’t sure how the scene would transpire, so I let the characters decide that.

It is federal Election Day November 3. 1904 and Frank Oliver, Liberal is running against Richard Secord, Conservative. Daniel is supporting Oliver while Ed Shepherd is supporting Secord. In those days, although the secret ballot has been implemented, there is still a great deal of intimidation and threats, even to the point of fights.

That’s exactly what happened at the polling booth. Shepherd tries to intimidate Daniel and they end up fighting, a regular fistfight, until it is stopped by the men assembled to cast their vote.

The scene, for the most part, wrote itself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous home equity loans said...

home equity loans

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home