Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Success

I finished Chapter Twelve today. Daniel becomes a businessman in the bustling town of Edmonton as it is at the end of steel; the Calgary to Edmonton line ends on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River across from Edmonton where the Hudson’s Bay Company has a fort and now a store as the country changes from fur trading to agriculture with the influx of settlers as the land is surveyed and homesteads become more and more available.

Daniel inadvertently becomes an outfitter providing transportation, equipment, and other necessities first to men heading for the goldfields of the Yukon and Alaska, and then to the homesteaders who are going north to the Peace River country.

He runs into problems from Ed Shepherd who has never like him, and from a lack of money and suppliers.

This was a hard chapter to write; at least, I’m not very satisfied with it. It will require a great deal of revision and rewriting, I’m sure. For the present, the first draft is down. So I’m looking forward to the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home