Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Friday, June 10, 2005

A New Business

Today Daniel discovers that he can make more money helping others to head out to the gold fields or to the new lands opening up in the Peace River country to the north and west of Edmonton, so he becomes an outfitter.

But his old nemesis, Edward Shepherd, who has now left the North West Mounted Police, is in the same business and threatens him. Daniel ignores the threat and sets up an office on main street, Jasper Avenue.

Although I have a vague idea as to what will happen, the characters for the most part decide. I knew that Daniel was to become a businessman in Edmonton, but I had no idea what it would be and how it would come about.

That’s the thrill of writing, especially a historical novel. Some of the events are preordained, but the way the characters act and react depends on them, their personalities, their mores, and their backgrounds.

Today, of course, was no exception. I suppose that all writers of historical novels experience the same scenario. If you are a historical writer, let me know if that is what happens when you are composing.

3 Comments:

Blogger easywriter said...

I have never undertaken sucj a daunitng task as breathing life into histroty through writing but even so, I find that often times, characters and plots seem to take on threir own life.

I have a link on my blog to another historical writer 'Incarnating The Countess" You may find it of some interest.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Thanks easywriter. I visited "Incarnating the Countess" which I found interesting. The research necessary when writing a historical novel can be daunting, but most of the time it is delightful and intriguing. Sometimes, I find I spend more time on the research than on the actual writing of the novel. My difficulty is trying to avoid the 'politically correct' and truly portray the ambience of the time.

8:45 AM  
Blogger easywriter said...

Readers who appreciate the work of historical writers prefer a true reconstruction of what may have actually occured or been said and understand that what is written is in context with the times that are being written about. My apaologies also for terrible typos in first message... :o)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home