Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Goldseeker

Today I started Chapter Eleven, The Goldseeker, 1899. Daniel and Geraldine are married and have just had their second child, Emily, who was preceded by Robert, now fifteen months old.

The Klondike Gold Rush is at its peak and people are still streaming to the Yukon, some of them through Edmonton.

Suddenly, Daniel is gripped with gold fever and wants to leave his homestead to venture into the far off gold fields to make his fortune.

Geraldine is alarmed at Daniel’s sudden desire although he plans to take his family with him. She feels that they are prospering on their small farm and it is a comfortable home for them.

Gold fever is an interesting phenomenon; motives for chasing the yellow metal are many and varied and not always reasonable. I suppose that is the only way to justify Daniel’s unexpected desire.

I’m eager to continue with this chapter as I explore Daniel’s motivation and aspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home