Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The fight

Writing today went very well. The confrontation between Daniel and Ed Shepherd turned into a fist fight, but unfortunately Daniel was not the winner.
I suppose that was expected, but I'm never sure until it happens that it will occur. Since this conflict was planned, I should have expected it.
Tomorrow is the last scene in this first chapter. Again, I'm not sure how it will end.
So this first chapter is set at Fort Calgary in 1880 when it was a principal post of the North West Mounted Police, the force established in 1873 to bring law and order to western Canada's North West Territories. My protagonist is fifteen-year-old Daniel Martin a French-Canadian youth who has just been orphaned when his parents die of smallpox, a not unusual happening in those years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home