Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Back on schedule

Today I got back on schedule and worked for three hours on my novel, the third scene of the first chapter. My young hero meets two antagonists, one apparent and the other not so obvious. As a matter of fact, one befriends young Daniel Martin who is now a dispatch rider for the North West Mounted Police.
The scene unfolded well, and the writing progress with ease, not as it is sometimes--a trial.
I'm sure that happens to most writers, but I find that later I can't tell what writing was an ordeal and what was feast, so to speak.
So far, I'm happy with the way in which the first chapter is progressing. I might say that I always start my writing day by reviewing what I wrote during the previous session. I only make minor corrections and changes unless I spot something that definitely needs a rewrite.
Of course, if my characters have cause major changes in characterization, plot, or some other aspect of the novel, I make those changes in my outline, plan, and character sketches. I do this so I will not make major errors or oops later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home