Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The second scene

My young protagonist, Daniel Martin, a fifteen-year-old French Canadian lad whose parents have just died of smallpox get into his first trouble for forgetting to advise the North West Mounted Police post commander that his parents were ill although the officer is sympathetic to the boy in his grief.
To complicate his life, the force has destroyed everything that belong to his parents in order to stop the spread of the disease; this leaves Daniel destitute without any means of support. He is offered a job as a dispatch rider by the inspector, but the rank of the force are against this because they fear the contagion of the disease.
That's the point in the story that I'm at now. One Daniel's major antagonists is a constable, Constable Edward Shepherd, a bigot who hates the French and Catholics.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charles,

I just found your blog with your link at Ami's blog and it looks interesting. I'm also writing a historical novel (but my blog is much more eclectic.) I'm going to bookmark yours so I can see how your novel progresses. I've linked it here just in case you're interested.

Karin

1:03 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Hi Karin,
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I'm interested in all writers of historical novels. You can send my an e-mail if you wish. I'd like to hear about your novel.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home