Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

A new beginning

Yesterday, I wrote the first paragraph of my new novel, but I wasn't satisfied with it. Somehow it just didn't ring true, so I started again.

Today, I wrote a new first paragraph and continued from that point. Yes, I even wrote my first one thousand words, my usual quota.

The first paragraph that I wrote was too much tell and not enough show. I think this beginning is much better as it does a better job of introducing the protagonist and hints at his major goal and the conflicts or barriers that he will have to overcome.

I think I can safely say that my novel is on its way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home