Charles Web Journal

My blog is intended to show how I construct and write a historical novel. It will be a journal of my daily writing activity, as I write a new historical novel.

Name:
Location: Evansburg, Alberta, Canada

I am a retired school teacher with a B. Ed in English literature a B.A. in History. After a long career as a teacher of English and history, I now write historical novels based on Canadian history.

Monday, January 24, 2005

The first paragraph

Today I wrote the opening paragraph of my novel. This paragraph is critical because it serves to introduce my protagonist, the setting, and a crucial event of the story.

Writing that first paragraph involves a great deal of thought and several possible beginnings before I'm satisfied that it is the best I can do.

Originally, I planned on fifteen chapters, but I soon realized that the first chapter was merely background material so my novel now begins with the second chapter. The material of the first chapter will be introduce little by little in the following chapters.

Of course, as I go along, I will continue to research the historical details that I need, as well as the development of the various characters.

Nevertheless, the first paragraph is written, so the novel is on its way.

Tomorrow I will write the first thousand words of the novel; that is what I set as my daily goal. Sometimes it's easy; other times it's difficult. At this point, I seldom edit or rewrite, but I do grammar check and spell check each day's work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home